Aug 21, 2012

Fire and Laughter

No, this isn't about walking over fiery coals, but it is about a challenge, of sorts.

In honor and recognition of the Fire Element, which in Traditional Chinese Medicine is represented by the hot and sunny months of summer, I am emphasizing laughter in my daily routine. Laughter and joy are the sound and emotion associated with the Fire element.

I need at least a giggle a day to get my minimum need of vital joy and well-being. Who knew I'd have to make an effort to ensure this 'kleinigkeit' in my day? Shouldn't laughter, at least a chuckle, be easy enough to come by? It's not like I need to hoard it and save it for a rainy day. But I've found I have to make a conscious effort to make it happen. But practice makes habit and good habits lead to success. Laughs away!

So where to start?

Words:
The Funny Times (www.funnytimes.com)
Calvin and Hobbes
Puns
Dr. Know of the weekly Willamette Week (http://www.wweek.com/portland/articles.sec-121-1-dr-know.html)

Performace:
Mel Brooks (Blazing Saddles, Space Balls, Young Frankenstein, to start)
Kids in the Hall ('Buddy Cole and the Dinosaur', Chicken Lady sketch, etc.)
Colbert Report
Ministry of Silly Walks (Well, really all of Monty Python)
The 3 Stooges
Jim Carroll's ("A Day at the Races," etc. from Praying Mantis)

Links:
http://www.snorgtees.com/
www.fark.com (esp. the photoshop contest)

Other:
Getting an unsolicited piggy-back ride from my husband
Talking with my oldest, bestest pals

Maybe you have some dependable sources of giggles and laughter? Nothing violent, political, gross or sarcastic (though these things can elicit laughter too sometimes), just good, healthy fun?

No comments: