Aug 13, 2012

New Things


This year has been one to embrace the new: in February I exchanged vows with the love of my life beneath the vaulted timbers of the Redwood Forest in Hoyt Arboretum. We were treated to a rare dusting of snow, while golden sunlight simultaneously shone through a veil of low clouds and tall trees. Drops accumulating on the pine needles high above fell on our heads, but otherwise we stayed dry, if not very warm. And so I am newly a wife, and even have a new name. And with this new name, I have new articles of daily living, like a driver's license, check books and an address: I am Mrs. Dennington now, it still sounds so formal. As well, I am learning a new signature and opting to change my name on Facebook, Gmail, my website, and all my other online affiliations. The process can be slow, but perhaps after a few decades of holding one name, trying to change it won't happen all at once.

Another exciting new change is the expansion of my practice. In June, I signed a lease for a charming office in historic Dahl Building in the Irvington neighborhood of NE Portland. I spent much of June and July painting, furnishing and setting up shop there. And with this new space for my practice, I now also have much more time. Before, I only had 2 days a week with which to practice, now I am able to practice and offer bodywork services full time. This is a tremendous step forward along my path as an independent practitioner. My goal is to have a fully-self sufficient practice by the end of this year. I am well on my way to attaining it, so long as I keep my eyes and my heart open.

No comments: